Saturday, March 10, 2012

walking with dice

Walking in my neighborhood is a workout that is always available and completely free. But sometimes just the idea of it bores me. The same route can be unmotivating. Non-the-less, last night before I fell asleep, I resolved that today I'd go for a walk. 

I set my alarm and the coffeepot for 7am. But the coffeepot malfunctioned I didn't set the timer right and it didn't start brewing, my snooze button was in reach, and it's Saturday. So, I made excuses to stay in bed a little lot longer. When I finally got up, I did some housework and then got ready to go. 
But just before I left, I was struck with inspiration to make my walk a little less mundane. I grabbed a dice and sticky note and made this quick variation:



This simple idea really made my walk around the neighborhood more enjoyable. I went down blocks I wouldn't normally go and probably walked a little longer than I would have otherwise. Usually, about half way to the end of the block, I'd simple take the dice out of my pocket and shake it in my palm, using whatever number was facing up when I opened my hand. 

There were a few times that I had to forgo the advice of the dice because it didn't work out or because I didn't want to get myself too close to home because, let's me honest, I'd be tempted to go in it! Eventually when I had gone far and long enough, I stopped using the dice and just headed back home. 


It really was a perfect day to be outside and, bonus, with daylight savings time there are now more evening hours to spend outside.
 

1 comment:

  1. I love it! You're so clever and this would be such a fun activity to walk with kids:)

    ReplyDelete